Tangentially Speaking Fans: Meet Here
Please introduce yourself in your regional (country/state/city) forum. Tell us a little about yourself. If no regional forum exists for you, just message Administrators and we will happily add one for you.
If you are using a mobile device, you will need to use "Desktop" mode in order to register.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2017 6:23 am  #11

Re: Introduction thread

Hey all, Peter from England, living in Andalucía. Listener to TS for a couple of years. I live off-grid and rely on an expensive cellphone connection to download my weekly selection of podcasts (mostly through iTunes), so currently I don't listen to every episode as the file sizes are excessively large… and Chris does tend to repeat himself!

Sex At Dawn is worth reading for its insight into our evolutionary past, and how this affects our lives now. Another very important book in this respect, which CR has mentioned, is Hierarchy in the Forest: The Evolution of Egalitarian Behavior by Christopher Boehm.

Anybody interested in starting a reading group?

6/26/2017 5:00 pm  #12

PeterPotbelly- reading group sounds like a great idea.  I just started Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari and he actually cites Sex At Dawn in the beginning of the third chapter.  Have you read it?  I haven't read Hierarchy but will certainly add it to the reading list.

Ophelia- Not knowing you it would be disingenuous of me to tell you why you should or shouldn't read Sex At Dawn.  Or do anything for that matter.  I would posit you this.  Why does anyone read any particular book?  Entertainment?  Education?  Escape?  Respect for the insight of the person who recommended it?  My take is that if you've ever struggled with the traditional relationship paradigm SAD might give you some understanding as to why.  Personally, I would equate it to finding a couple of missing pieces (potentially significant ones at that) in the ever expanding mosaic of life.  I learned a bit about who I am and where I come from in a sort of functional evolutionary sense.  By assimilating that knowledge into my view of reality I was able to grow as an individual, thus mitigating some of the stresses of modern life.  My best hope would be that by reading SAD you might have a similar experience. 

TS party location?  Dunno.  Costa Rica in September looks promising

Always looking for good podcast recommendations if anyone out there has any

6/26/2017 6:34 pm  #13

chuckywunder wrote:

PeterPotbelly- reading group sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the encouragement, I started a new thread to set this up.

6/26/2017 6:36 pm  #14

chuckywunder wrote:

Always looking for good podcast recommendations if anyone out there has any

New thread for this also…

7/04/2017 9:54 pm  #15

Kia Ora
I'm Nikita, I live on the West Coast of New Zealand where I'm learning to carve jade greenstone. Chris Ryan's podcasts are great for listening to when carving and sanding, or walking places. I also listen to Daniel Vitalis' Rewild Yourself, which is where I came across Tangentially Speaking. 
I have yet to get a copy of Sex at Dawn, but have heard much about it. I have a strong interest in our evolutionary past, and hope to bring related concepts into my design and carving. 

Hoping I can come across some fellow kiwi's or folk travelling NZ. It's a pretty isolated place where I am and would be great to find some interesting people locally. 

7/15/2017 7:13 am  #16

Nice to meet you all!
My name is Sterling 23yrs old and I live in Las Vegas, NV but I really need to move. I've been here too long theres nothing to do I need to go and experience new places! 

I heard about Chris Ryan on the JRE podcast I've learned so much from these two. I love listening to the ROMA and TOMA. From the ROMA series I really liked unconditional love which is important to kids who are growing up and developing. From the TOMA series I liked his story when he got stuck in the back of the bus cause that just happened to me recently I so badly wanted to climb on top of the bus lol Also his story about living in NYC he was a baller! 
I have the sex at dawn audiobook but its really hard to follow along I need to get the physical copy.

I am interested about learning from other people living in different places and how it feels to live there like Europe or the United Kingdom! (Anywhere!)

Did someone say tspeaking party? I can bring some food guys! 

7/20/2017 9:46 am  #17

jre wrote:

I am interested about learning from other people living in different places and how it feels to live there like Europe or the United Kingdom! (Anywhere!)

Hey Sterling, welcome, the forum isn't very active (yet?)…

I'm English, living in Spain for a few years, pm me if you'd like to chat sometime via skype/whatsapp etc.

Peter

8/13/2017 9:08 am  #18

Hey,
Petio here,I live in south of france.I discovered the ts podcast on joe rogan podcast.I've been listening to it for about a year now,I'm reading SAD right now,just started!
My english writting is far from perfect

Last edited by petio (8/13/2017 9:08 am)

9/03/2017 11:53 am  #19

Hi all, so happy this forum exists. My thanks to its creator.

I am Jasmine, 43, from New York originally, but I've lived most of my life in southern California (ecstatic to be back after being in Florida the past five years). I love to research, travel, occasionally write, and I will begin my studies in Tantra Sept/Oct. In Dec 2015 I worked with Peruvian Shamans and plant medicines that brought to the surface the sexuality I had locked away due to slut-shaming friends, religion, family, and society's bullshit conditioning.

I first heard about Sex at Dawn when I latched on to the ancestral health and paleo/primal movement in 2013. I saw Chris speak in Austin, TX in 2015, purchased the book on the spot and did my best to keep my jaw off the floor. If only it had been written and available twenty years prior, but honestly I may not have been ready for it.

I also enjoy all of the podcasts: TS, ROMA/TOMA as well as The Shrimp Parade episodes with Duncan and Joe.

9/12/2017 11:34 pm  #20

Hi, my name is Barbara and I live in the Netherlands in a small town / village.
Discovered the Tangentially Speaking podcast in May or June through the Minimalists and have been listening to quite a few of them. I listen to the podcasts on my phone using Podcasts (Apple) while walking the dogs and in the evenings when I like to give my eyes a rest.
TS is my favorite podcast. I like the way Chris formulates his thoughts and though I don't agree with him on every issue, it is both entertaining en informative to listen to his stories and thoughts. Living in a small town really leads to a narrowing of the mind after a while, so I am glad to have the Tangentially Speaking podcast to open up my mind to a world that was unknown to me and as we Dutch say: "onbekend maakt onbemind" (unknown makes disliked). The Sex at Dawn book is on top of my bookshelves yet I still have to find time to read it.
My favorite podcast is the one with Jaiya Ma (one of the early ones), I hope he will invite her again.
I have become a Patreon subscriber recently, but I never watch the videos. I rather listen than watch.

Actually I am a very regular person, happily married for 25 years already and happily living a monogamous life (Yes Chris, those people exist). But being trained an Anthropologist I am always curious about other lifestyles and why people do the things they do.

By the way, i just visited Norway and what a beautiful country it is. Hei Norwegians

Board footera