Tangentially Speaking Fans: Meet Here
Please introduce yourself in your regional (country/state/city) forum. Tell us a little about yourself. If no regional forum exists for you, just message Administrators and we will happily add one for you.
If you are using a mobile device, you will need to use "Desktop" mode in order to register.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2017 5:27 pm  #11

Re: First in from New Zealand

I'm in Wellington. Gunna stay at least until Sunday, a group of nice travelers gave me a book and told me to come to the bhakti lounge for yoga and a feast and that sounded good to me! Hope you have some free time between now and then.

Die with memories, not dreams.

12/08/2017 11:35 am  #12

Ooo. I’ve not heard of this Bahkti Liunge.
Was it good?
No free time for me. New flat to make up. Too hot for this!!

12/09/2017 10:57 pm  #13

Just got done with it actually. It was great! $10 gets you an all you can eat vegan meal and dessert. I'm not a vegan but I really enjoyed the food. Did a big group hare Krishna mantra that turned into dancing which was a cool experience. I met a lot of cool people too. Definitely recommend it!

Die with memories, not dreams.

12/12/2017 8:38 am  #14

Hi Kiwis! (hope it's ok to call you that as a non-native myself, check me otherwise )
Sounds like you guys are enjoying some beautiful weather down there! Unfortunately in the chilly U.S. writing this (more fortunately, specifically in Colorado though)
I've been really interested for the last year or so in traveling down to New Zealand, and maybe more as I've heard wonderful things, and the ImmigrationNewZealand emails are making me antsy! Just curious if any of you locals or experienced travelers of the area might have suggestions for someone generally clueless... Any knowledge of local arts scenes? Recommended areas for trails/backpacking (away from much other traffic), and if there are any unusual regulations to be aware of?

12/15/2017 10:09 pm  #15

only regulation I can think of is that you can’t bring any produce or any seeds or anything into the country.
If you’re bringing tramping boots or a tent, make sure they’re clean, or they’ll be chucked out at the airport.

I’d recommend starting in Wellington and moving out from there. It’s a relatively small city (walk from one end to the other in under 90 minutes), so you won’t get overwhelmed, and there’s plenty of good hiking and cultural areas in the vicinity.

Then I’d suggest heading around the South Island. I always say that the North Island has the culture, the South Island has the beauty. It’s  just not fair at all. Every time you drive around a corner it gets more beautiful.

12/16/2017 12:06 am  #16

Hey Dietza, Wellington is a good spot for sure, and then I would say go to the South Island! (But i'm biased..). Dunedin is like a smaller version of Wellington, with a really good music and food culture. The art around town has really picked up over the last few years. Its surrounded by hills and beach, so all sorts of outdoor stuff is close. So much outdoor hiking etc you can't go wrong in NZ really. I currently live on the West Coast of the South Island which is a very low population and some of the most beautiful and wild landscape in NZ.

Here I am talking it up.. but I'm visiting the UK right now and missing home a bit! If you decide to visit NZ hit me up and you'll have couch to stay on and some contacts

12/16/2017 12:08 am  #17

Oh and also, summer is of course the highest level of tourists, so spring or autumn can be better, but you risk the weather turning to shit.. but to be fair you risk that most of the time anyway.. try couch surfing and woofing over the main tourist routes in more isolated places.

Board footera